concealed carry permit

Obtaining a Non-Resident Concealed Carry Permit

There are a number of reasons why a person would want a non-resident concealed carry permit, and in fact a good number of people do. Usually, the reason is to gain a greater amount of reciprocity, so a person can carry in more states should they travel beyond their home state's borders. Some people do so because they work in one state but live in another.

In either case, there are some great reciprocity states and some awful ones. Getting a non-resident permit can certainly be a good idea, and not necessarily overly difficult to boot.

Why A Non-Resident CCW Permit Is A Good Idea

non resident ccw permit

The reason why someone would want a non-resident ccw permit is largely to be able to concealed carry (or open carry) in more states than their resident permit allows. Every state has different laws concerning which state licenses they will recognize besides its own; some states recognize/reciprocate with any valid concealed carry license. Other states recognize the CPL of any state that recognizes its own.

Some states don't recognize any other license besides their own. Vermont doesn't recognize any issued license, but also doesn't issue one...because no permit is needed for resident or non-residents in Vermont, which is largely considered the most libertarian state in the union.

Some states are shall-issue, some are may-issue. Vermont is unrestricted.

There are also some people who live near the border of their home state but work in a neighboring state. Some states, such as Indiana, allow for people who "work or have regular business" (as Indiana puts it) in that state to get a non-resident permit.

Some states, such as (but not limited to) Kansas and Michigan, also allow military personnel who are stationed but don't permanently reside there to get a non-resident permit. Some of those states also allow spouses and other dependents of appropriate age to do likewise.

How To Apply For A Non-Resident Concealed Carry Permit

applying for a ccw permit

Applying for a non-resident concealed carry permit is much like applying for a resident permit. You fill out some forms, provide the requisite documentation and submit, along with payment of fees.

With that said, the devil is in the details. You see, each state has their own special requirements. For instance, many states that grant non-resident permits have training requirements that have to be satisfied before the permit can be granted.

CCW training requirements can vary. A lot of states don't require much, though; often the NRA basic pistol course satisfies requirements, as do many state-approved hunter's safety courses. The reason is that both provide both theory and practical instruction. You get class(es) and an exam on theory, and a range day to prove proficiency with an actual firearm.

Some states require more. Texas, for instance, mandates that a person has to pass a shooting test to get their concealed carry permit. It's a lot like pistol qualification tests that law enforcement and the military have to pass.

Some states allow for fingerprints to be mailed in, which requires fingerprinting - local law enforcement or certain third party administrators can provide these services.

Overall, some states - such as Utah, Arizona and other states - will allow application by mail or online, and some states - such as Idaho - won't.

In short, what you'll have to submit is going to depends on the state that you intend to get the license from. That's going to involve some research into that state's licensure requirements. That said, the above is what you can expect.

Picking A Non-Resident Concealed Pistol License

picking a non resident concealed carry permit

If you're determined to get a non-resident concealed pistol license, there are certain things you should look for in selecting one.

First, find one that you're eligible to obtain. Some states only allow people who work in or active duty military stationed (but not residing) in the state to get a non-resident permit. If this applies to you, go ahead, but if not, you'll have to find a state that allows anyone to apply. Arizona and Utah are very popular for this purpose.

You may need to find a state that allows application by mail or online - again, Utah and Arizona are popular - in order to submit the application. Some states, such as Idaho, only allow in-person applications. Therefore, unless you live close enough to reasonably apply for the non-resident license in person, pick a state that allows applications to be sent by mail or over the internet.

Reciprocity is another concern. There are a few states, such as Florida and Michigan, that don't recognize non-resident permits, so it isn't a good idea to rely on a non-resident permit for reciprocity.

There may be specific states that you desire reciprocity in; check out the non-resident permit to find out if the state you have in mind recognizes it.

Unfortunately, you will have to do some legwork to find a non-resident CCW permit that fits your needs...but you could be rewarded if you make the right choice.

Sam Hoober  

About The Author

Born in southeastern Washington State, Sam Hoober graduated in 2011 from Eastern Washington University. He resides in the great Inland Northwest, with his wife and child. His varied interests and hobbies include camping, fishing, hunting, and spending time at the gun range as often as possible.

purchase gun belt